I wasn’t feeling well this week, so we changed around what recipes we were making this week and had this Risotto for Valentine’s day instead of the steak we planned on making.
Making risotto is very hands on – you can’t really leave the pots side for a minute or you risk the rice drying out or burning. But it’s worth it when you get to taste that first mouth-watering bite. It’s creamy with an amazing winey taste and the pop of peas at the end is the perfect addition.
I would definitely recommend making this with the red wine you’re going to drink it with because you can really taste it in the risotto.
Red Wine Risotto with Peas
3 1/2 cups vegetable broth
3 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 cup onion, finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 cup arborio rice
1/2 cup dry red wine
1/3 cup frozen peas
1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
1/2 cup grated Parmesan, plus additional for garnish
Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- In a small pot, bring broth to a simmer over medium-high heat. Cover the broth and keep it warm over very low heat.
- In a large saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Add the onion and saute until translucent, about 6-8 minutes.
- Stir in the garlic and saute for 30 seconds.
- Stir in the rice and cook for about 2 minutes until the rice is toasted.
- Add the wine and stir until it is absorbed, about 1 minute.
- Add 3/4 cup of hot broth; simmer over medium-low heat until the liquid is absorbed, stirring often, about 6 minutes. Repeat, adding 3/4 cup of hot broth 2 more times, stirring often, about 12 minutes longer.
- Repeat until all broth is mixed into rice and absorbed (rice should look creamy). Stir in the peas and parsley. Add the 1/2 cup of Parmesan. Season with salt and pepper.
- To serve, spoon the risotto into bowls. Sprinkle additional cheese over and serve immediately. Enjoy!