When you think Valentine’s Day, soup isn’t the first thing that comes to my mind. Well, maybe it is but some would say I’m not normal. 🙂
With my love of soup at an all time high, I wanted to make a soup that really screamed romance or sexy or Valentine’s Day! So, I made what I think is a delicious bowl of silky, smooth Valentine’s Day soup, aka roasted beet soup.
First, I roasted the beets which brings out their natural sweetness. Then, I made the base of any good soup with a bunch of veggies and broth. Mix in the grated beets and there’s your best valentine lunch, brunch or dinner in a bowl.
Roasted Beet Soup
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 small onions, finely chopped
- 4 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 2 large celery stalks, chopped
- 3 medium carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1 quart of vegetable stock
- 3 medium-large beets, roasted, peeled and grated
- 1/2 tablespoon of balsamic vinegar
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- In a large pot, sauté the onion in oil, followed by the celery, garlic and carrots until everything turns soft and golden, about 5-8 minutes.
- Add the stock and bring to boil.
- Add the roasted beets and reduce heat to a simmer until the vegetables are tender and the broth has thickened, about 20 minutes (add water in 1 cup increments if you prefer a thinner soup).
- Add the vinegar, salt and pepper.
- Puree the soup with a hand-held immersion blender or in small batches in a regular blender.
- Serve hot with sour cream or parsley as a garnish. Enjoy!