I wanted to find a great drop cookie recipe that I could mix anything I had on hand into for those days when Amelia wanted a cookie. I hate store-bought cookies because they are never as good as they look. And you miss out on the enchanting right-out-of-the-oven smell if you buy them premade.
So this is the recipe I use and have adapted over the years.
Basic Drop Cookies
- 1/2 cup butter, room temperature
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon (homemade) vanilla
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons milk (any kind)
- 2 cups very good quality chips, nuts or fruit
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Lightly grease two baking sheets, or line with parchment.
- Beat together the butter, sugars, vanilla, salt, baking powder, and baking soda till well combined. Add the egg, beating till smooth. Scrape the sides of the bowl, and beat again till smooth. Add the flour, mixing it in completely. Beat in the milk, then the chips, nuts or fruit.
- Using a heaping rounded tablespoon or a cookie scoop, drop them onto the prepared baking sheets, spacing them about 2″ apart.
- Refrigerate cookies on the pan for 30-60 minutes (this is important – don’t skip this step)!
- Remove pan from fridge and bake the cookies for 12 – 14 minutes (the cookies should be a light golden brown, and a bit darker around the edges).
- Remove the cookies from the oven, and cool right on the baking sheets. Enjoy!