I was craving chicken tonight instead of mussels, so I changed the order of the week around a little bit. And I’m glad I did! This dinner is a taste of summer in the dead of winter and exactly what I needed tonight. It’s been so cold, the only way to make it through is to dream of summer grilling.
The salsa really makes this dish because the jalapeno infuses its spice into the strawberries and bursts with flavor. But, not in a spicy overbearing way. Every bite you take is so packed with flavor, that you’ll be dreaming of this dinner until summer comes back again.
Whole30/Paleo Strawberry and Avocado Chicken
- 1 tablespoon lime zest (2 limes)
- 1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice, divided
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 cup strawberries, diced
- 1 medium jalapeno, cored, seeded and finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 medium avocado
- 1/2 small red onion (~1/4 cup), diced
- 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts
- In a small bowl, whisk together the lime zest, 1/4 cup lime juice, olive oil, garlic, salt, pepper and cilantro. Pour over the chicken, seal the bag, then “squish” to coat the chicken evenly. Refrigerate for 1 hour or up to 1 day.
- Once marinade is ready, prepare the strawberry salsa: in a mixing bowl, gently stir together the strawberries, jalapeno, cilantro, 2 tablespoons lime juice, and 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt. Stir in the avocado and onion.
- Oil the pan and cook the chicken until completely cooked through (160 to 165 degrees), about 8 to 12 minutes total, flipping the chicken once or twice throughout. The amount of time you need will vary based on the size and thickness of each breast. Remove to a plate, cover, and let rest 5 minutes.
- To serve, transfer the chicken to serving plates and top each with a few generous spoonfuls of the strawberry salsa. Enjoy!
Adapted from: wellplated.com