Trifle is one of those quintessential British desserts that generally makes an appearance at parties. It always looks more complicated than it is to make, but it’s not! You can just let your friends and family think it was hard to make! Haha!
This trifle only needs 4 ingredients: store bought angel food cake (of course you can make it too!), premade custard (there’s a recipe below to make it as well), whipped cream and fruit. That’s it! If you want to make these individual servings, you can use small glass bowls or cups to make mini trifles for a sweet end to your dinner party.
- 2 cups (1 pint) heavy whipping cream, very cold
- 2 (12 oz) angel food cakes
- 1 (14oz) can custard (*see note below if you can’t find any premade custard)
- 2 lbs berries:
- 1 lb fresh strawberries, sliced
- 16 oz bag frozen mixed berries, partially thawed in the refrigerator
- To make the cream, beat cold whipping cream on the highest speed for about 2-3 minutes or until fluffy and stiff peaks form. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- To assemble the trifle, chop your angel food cake into 1″ cubes and place 1/3 of them into the bottom of your trifle bowl. Add 1/3 of your custard and spread around somewhat evenly. Add 1/3 of your cream and spread around evenly. Add 1/4 of your fruit. Repeat until you have 3 layers of cake.
- Arrange your remaining fruit over the top of your cake. Enjoy!