Many years ago, Trevor lived in South East Asia and fell in love with the food. He loved the spices, rice and noodle dishes.
When I was planning Soups & Stews week, he begged me to make this. And I’m so glad he did. This dish has so many layers of flavors. It’s so meaty but light at the same time. And it has spice but not too spicy. And it’s smooth, but also has crunch. I have no doubt saying this is one of the best soups I’ve ever made.
Vietnamese Beef & Noodle Soup
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 medium sweet onion
- 3 tablespoons fresh ginger, minced & peeled
- 1 1/2 pounds bone-in beef short ribs
- 1 cup water
- 4 cups unsalted beef stock
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons hoisin sauce
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 4 ounces vermicelli (rice) noodles
- 2 cups fresh bean sprouts
- 1 cup roughly torn fresh basil
- 1/2 cup roughly torn fresh mint
- 1 lime, cut into 4 wedges
- Cook cinnamon in a large skillet over medium until fragrant, about 2 minutes. Transfer to a 6-quart slow cooker.
- Cut onion in half; place in skillet, cut side down; add ginger. Cook onion and ginger over medium, undisturbed, until onion is charred on cut side, about 5 minutes. Transfer to slow cooker. Increase heat under skillet to medium-high. Add short ribs; cook until browned on all sides, about 15 minutes. Transfer to slow cooker.
- Remove skillet from heat; discard drippings. Pour 1 cup water into skillet, scraping to loosen browned bits. Pour through a strainer into slow cooker; discard solids. Stir in beef stock and salt. Cover and cook on low 8 hours.
- Remove short ribs from slow cooker. Pour broth through a strainer into a bowl; discard solids. Pour broth back into slow cooker. Remove meat from bones of short ribs; shred meat, and return to slow cooker. Stir in hoisin and soy sauces. Turn slow cooker to high; cover to keep hot.
- Cook noodles according to package directions. Place 1/2 cup cooked noodles in each of 4 bowls. Top each with 1 1/4 cups hot broth and 1/3 cup short rib meat. Sprinkle with bean sprouts, basil, and mint. Serve with lime wedges. Enjoy!