Just the sight of sugar coated cranberries reminds me of the holidays. They’re just the right amount of tart surrounded by the perfect amount of sweet. And the best part is they can be used in anything from drinks, to table decorations to the tastiest of cakes and muffins.
This basic muffin recipe is enhanced by the sugary coated cranberries. The cranberries start to break down as the muffin cooks so they become tender and sweet. Use fresh cranberries here instead of dried for a much more moist muffin.
Wintery Cranberry Muffins
- 1 cup fresh cranberries
- 7 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- Cinnamon sugar or pumpkin pie spice
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Toss cranberries with 1 tablespoon sugar; set aside. Sift remaining sugar, flour, baking powder and salt into large bowl.
- In another bowl, beat egg, milk and oil. Make a hole in center of dry ingredients; pour in liquid ingredients. Stir just until moistened. Add berries and lemon zest.
- Fill 12 greased standard evenly with batter and sprinkle with cinnamon sugar or pumpkin pie spice.
- Bake for 18 minutes for standard-size muffins. Enjoy!