I can’t help but think of Thing from The Addams Family when I see these creepy hands coming out of my pot pie. Well, they’re not that creepy – I traced Amelia’s hand so they are a little more cute than creepy.
The pot pie filling is made pretty quickly on the stove and instead of using pie crust, I used hand shaped puff pastry. It really added to the Halloween spirit.
Creepy-Crawler Pot Pie
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 sheet frozen puff pastry
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 cups chicken broth
- 1 package frozen mixed vegetables
- 1 1/2 cups shredded rotisserie chicken
- 1/2 tablespoon garlic salt
- Pepper, to taste
- To make the creepy-crawler hands, pre-heat oven to 400 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Roll out one sheet of puff pastry dough on a lightly floured surface. Using hand (or a hand cookie-cutter), cut out 6 hand shapes. Place on prepared baking sheet and brush with egg yolk. Bake pastry 15 minutes or until golden. Remove to wire rack to cool and set aside.
- To make chicken potpie, melt butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Whisk in flour; cook, whisking, until bubbling. Gradually whisk in chicken broth. Stir over medium-high heat until mixture comes to a rapid boil and thickens. Stir in remaining ingredients. Return to a simmer; cook for 4 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Season as needed. Pour mixture into serving bowls and garnish with hands. Enjoy!