When you’re on a low carb diet, sweet potatoes are one healthy option you can eventually introduce back in when you crave carbs. By using the potato here as the taco, you save on all the extra unnecessary calories you’d otherwise eat without sacrificing any of the good flavor. The cumin, in particular, stands out adding a rich depthness to the potatoes.
Turkey Taco Stuffed Sweet Potato
- 3 medium – large sweet potatoes
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin, divided
- 1/4 + 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 + 1/8 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1 lb. lean ground turkey
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning
- 1 1/4 cup canned crushed tomatoes
- 1/4 cup grated mozzarella cheese
- 2 tbsp minced flat-leaf parsley
- Pierce the sweet potatoes all over with a fork. If cooking in the microwave: cook on HIGH until tender when pierced with a fork, 4 to 5 minutes per side. If cooking in the oven, cook for one hour at 400 degrees. Whichever way you cook them, let the potatoes rest once cooked until cool enough to handle.
- Cut the potatoes in half lengthwise. Carefully scoop the flesh out of the potatoes and place in a medium-sized bowl. Reserve the skins. With the back of a fork, mash the potato flesh until most lumps are gone. Stir in the olive oil, ½ teaspoon cumin, ¼ teaspoons salt and ¼ teaspoon pepper. Divide the mashed sweet potato evenly between the potato skins. Place on a baking sheet.
- Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Lightly coat with cooking spray. Add the ground turkey and cook, breaking up with a wooden spoon, until cooked through. Stir in the garlic, chili powder, remaining ¾ teaspoon cumin, Italian seasoning, and remaining ⅛ teaspoon salt and pepper. Cook for 1 minute. Stir in the crushed tomatoes.
- Preheat the broiler. Spoon the turkey mixture into each sweet potato skin. Top each with 1 tablespoon cheese. Broil until the cheese is melted, about 30 seconds. Garnish with parsley. Serve and enjoy!