Much like my traditional challah french toast recipe, this recipe has a similar ending even though the process is different. You can add any fruit or nut to this recipe and it freezes great!
Baked Challah French Toast
- 1 challah loaf, cut into 3/4 inch slices
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 4 large eggs
- 2 cups of whole milk
- 1/2 cup almond milk
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- Pinch of freshly ground nutmeg
- Pinch of salt
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Butter a 2 quart baking dish. Butter the front sides of the slices of bread and shingle the slices upright in the dish. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk eggs, milks, sugar, seasonings and vanilla. Pour the milk mixture over the bread and press the bread gently to absorb. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.
- In the morning, heat oven to 350 degrees. Remove plastic wrap and bake until puffed up, golden on top and set in the middle – about 1 hour. Once done, remove and let stand for 10 minutes. Serve with a dusting of powdered sugar, maple syrup and fruit. Enjoy!
Adapted from: cooking.nytimes.com