Making good pastry is an art. It seems easy with only a few ingredients and directions but it can be really tricky to get the consistency right, getting it into the baking dish and preventing it from shrinking. Here are my suggestions for making the perfect pastry:
- Use a food processor if you have one – it makes it much easier to get it right.
- Use really good butter – it has more moisture and makes a flakier crust.
- Pour the water in slowly and use just enough, no more, no less.
- Once you roll out the dough, roll it back onto the rolling pin to lay it over the baking dish. This will stop it from tearing.
- Pre-bake the crust with weights (or beans or rice). It really will stop the shrinking.
It might take a few times to get the hang of it, but it’s so worth it! You can see how I make the pastry here in full detail. Once you nail down the pastry, the rest is just pouring and baking. It’s really easy and makes the most lovely brunch dish.
Now, the question is – what’s your favorite side to eat with quiche? I’d love to know in the comments below!
Broccoli Cheddar Quiche
- 1 single-crust pastry recipe
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 2 cups broccoli, chopped into bite-sized pieces
- 6 oz. sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 5 large eggs: 3 whole eggs + 2 egg yolks
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Make pastry dough (use my recipe here) or use store-bought.
- Then, preheat oven to 375 degrees. Roll out dough on a lightly floured surface to a 14″ round. Transfer dough to pan and smooth out so it doesn’t have any creases or folds. Freeze until very firm, about 20 minutes.
- Line dough with parchment paper and fill with pie weights, dried beans or rice. Bake for 10 minutes. Carefully remove parchment and pie weights. Let crust cool slightly.
- For the filling, heat oil in a small skillet over medium heat. Add onion and cook until onions are translucent, about 6-8 minutes. Add onions, broccoli, and cheese to the bottom of pre-baked pie crust.
- Next, whisk together eggs, yolks, milk, salt, and pepper in a medium bowl until combined. Pour mixture over pie crust. Bake quiche 35-40 minutes, or until quiche is set and a knife inserted in center comes out clean.
- Move quiche to wire rack and let cool before serving. Enjoy!