On the weekends, we like to cook a lot. It just so happened to be Passover this weekend so we decided to make our big meal Sunday and make a Sunday roast.
Now, a Sunday roast is exactly what it sounds like – a roast of meat and a variety of veggies. Generally, they both just need a little fit (butter and/or oil) and a big pan. Throw them in the oven and dinner is ready a few hours later. It couldn’t be easier!
These are a big thing in England and as many of you know, my husband is English. So, we like to bring over a few traditions when we can. This is just one of the many I love!
What’s your favorite go-to meal to cook on the weekends? Let me know in the comments below!
Sunday Roast (Roast Chicken & Veggies)
For the chicken
- 1 (5-6 pound) chicken
- 1/2 onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 stalk celery, coarsely chopped
- 1 carrot, coarsely chopped
- 2 lemons, quartered
- 1/2 bunch fresh herbs, like parsley and sage
- 6-8 tablespoons butter, room temperature
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
For the Veggies
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- Kosher salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1 pound Brussels Sprouts, halved
- 1/2 pound carrots
- 1/2 pound mini potatoes, halved
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Make sure the bottom rack is on the lowest level in the oven.
- Place chicken in a roasting pan. Remove giblets, and pat the outside and inside of the chicken dry with paper towels. Place onion, celery, carrot, lemons, and herbs inside the bird. Take room temperature butter and cover the bird inside the cavity, under and over the skin with it. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Make sure the wings and legs are tucked under the bird and cook until thickest part of the meat (not touching a bone) is 155-160 degrees Fahrenheit. If chicken starts to brown before it’s done cooking, top it with a piece of aluminum foil and tent it on top. Remove the bird from the oven (it will keep cooking at and will come up to the safe 165 degrees within a few minutes of being out of the oven).
- While the chicken is cooling, roast the veggies: preheat oven to 425 degrees. In a small bowl, whisk together olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, salt and pepper. On a lined baking sheet, toss the veggies in dressing until well coated. Roast until tender, about 25 minutes.
- Once chicken has cooled, slice and serve with veggies. Enjoy!