In Hoboken, NJ (where we used to live), our favorite place was called Karma Kafe. It was a small, family-owned place that had the BEST Indian food. But, since we moved to Florida, I’ve yet to find an Indian food restaurant I love.
It means that to fill my Indian food cravings, I’ve had to start cooking my own. I’m by no means an expert on Indian food cooking, but I do like to cook certain things – Homemade Naan, Chicken Korma, Cauliflower Chickpea Tikka Masala, Coconut Fish Curry, Chicken Masala, Sweet Potato and Chickpea Masala… I just really love the creamy flavors of Indian food and since I’ve stopped eating red meat, I like to get my bold flavors in other ways.
And this creamy, vegetarian, gluten and dairy free dish is dynamite! It’s all made in one pan, it’s super flavorful and it’s ready in 30 minutes. I served mine over rice with some extra lemon. So so good, you guys!
My only improvement – next time, I’m going to add some potatoes into it and make an Aloo Chole (yum!)!
Coconut Curried Chickpeas
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 teaspoons fresh ginger, minced
- 2 teaspoons garam masala
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1 14-oz can coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Fresh cilantro or parsley, for garnish
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring frequently, until soft and starting to brown, 3-4 minutes.
- Stir in ginger, garlic and spices. Cook for 1 minute.
- Add tomato paste and cook, stirring for 30 seconds. Then, stir in coconut milk and bring to a simmer. Stir occasionally, until slightly thickened, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Add chickpeas and lemon juice. Sprinkle fresh herbs on top, if desired and serve. Enjoy!