I make lots of cupcakes and cakes throughout the year, and love a good vanilla frosting over them. I usually make this one, but wanted to make a new one that was slightly thinner than I’m used to making. I tend to find it easier to pipe with and my hands don’t hurt squeezing a piping bag as much if it’s slightly thinner. 🙂
This is the one I gravitate towards. You basically dump everything in a bowl and mix. And in just a few minutes, it’s ready! You can make it any color by adding some food coloring in and it pipes beautifully! Just look at this cake I made today with it for Amelia’s 5th birthday!
You can use this for cakes or cupcakes and it’ll be your go-to from now on! Happy cake decorating!
Basic Vanilla Frosting
- 1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 3 tablespoons heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Beat butter with an electric mixer until creamy. Sprinkle salt over butter and stir again to combine.
- Gradually, about 1/2 cup at a time, add powdered sugar, waiting until each cup is completely mixed before adding more.
- With mixer on medium-low speed, add the heavy cream, one tablespoon at a time. Once ingredients are well incorporated, gradually increase speed to high and beat for about 30 seconds.
- Add vanilla extract and stir well.
- Pipe or spread frosting over cooled cake or cupcakes. Enjoy!