Over the years, I’ve made a LOT of corn muffins and corn bread. It was my job to make our families mini corn muffins every year for Thanksgiving. I loved making them, but if I’m being honest, I didn’t like how they tasted. They were so dry, but we had a recipe and I had to stick to it.
As I grew older and became more adventurous with my cooking and baking, I started to play around with the recipe. I had drier ones, moister ones, small muffins, large muffins, corn cakes, corn breads… you name it, I tried making it! Well, who would have that that making it a little more like cake and smothering it with lemon curd would be the key to making it so good? Honestly, me!
The second I read this recipe, I knew it was going to be good. So good, I carried this recipe clipping from All Recipes magazine around with me through 4 different homes in 2 states (moving’s a pain – don’t do it if you don’t have to/want to :)). Suffice to say, it was worth the effort and I’m so glad I finally had the perfect time to make it.
This is a winner of a bread and side dish! Get yourself some realllllyyyyy good lemon curd to go on top and you won’t regret it! Hope you like this as much as I did! xo
Sweet Corn and Thyme Cornbread Cake
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 2/3 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 1/4 cups whole milk
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon honey, plus more for garnish
- 1 cup fresh sweet corn kernels
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
- 1 9-oz jar lemon curd
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9-inch round cake pan. Line bottom of pan with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a large bowl, sift together flour, sugar, cornmeal, baking powder and salt. Add eggs, milk, oil, butter and 1 tablespoon of honey; stir to moisten. Fold in corn and thyme.
- Pour batter into cake pan; bake until top starts to brown and crack and a toothpick inserted near center comes out clean, about 45 minutes.
- Cool completely on a rack, about 1 hour. Transfer to a serving platter, slice into wedges and spread lemon curd on top. Serve immediately. Enjoy!