Summer is nearly over (noooo!!!!)!!! Even though we live in Florida, there is something sad about Summer ending. Gone are the relaxed summer mornings with nowhere to drive…. gone are the care-free days at the beach… but also gone is the sweltering heat (!!). I’m not sad about that last one!
Well, Labor Day is this coming weekend, so I had to squeeze in all the heirloom tomato recipes before it’s official. This is one of those super easy bbq apps that everyone loves. It’s just a few slices of this and that with a sprinkle of glaze and it’s ready in no time flat. It’s also super pretty, if I do say so myself. 🙂
Don’t skip the first step with the salt. It’s a must or your basil will wilt and the tomatoes will be extra messy! Just sayin’…!
Heirloom Tomato Caprese Salad
- 1lb. heirloom tomatoes (any color), cored and sliced
- 8 ounces fresh mozzarella cheese, sliced
- 1 handful fresh basil
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Balsamic glaze, to taste (optional)
- On a large cutting board, slice tomatoes, remove as many seeds as you can and sprinkle salt over the tomatoes (this removes some of the liquid). Let sit 5-10 minutes.
- To assemble the salad, alternate slices of tomatoes, mozzarella and basil. Season generously with salt and pepper and drizzle balsamic glaze over the top. Serve immediately! Enjoy!