Happy 2 years to Season Generously!!! I can’t believe I started this journey 2 years ago! More than 600 recipes later and I’m still finding new ways of creating our favorites (and even some new dishes)!
I wanted to celebrate today’s special day with an ode to my favorite celebratory cupcake as a child – Funfetti! They were super colorful and easy to make from a box.
When I got to thinking about what they are though, I realized they are just a basic vanilla cupcake with sprinkles. So I set out to make them this morning. Of course, my favorite Cake/Cupcake cookbook from Baked by Melissa (aka, Melissa Ben-Ishay) had one so I knew I had to make them. And just like every one of her recipes, this one didn’t disappoint. It tastes amazing, it’s bright vibrant colors are just liked the box variety and you probably already have everything on hand already.
So, for your next birthday, celebration or just because it’s a random Monday, you’ll love making this cupcakes. Happy Birthday, Season Generously! ❤
For the cupcakes:
- 1 stick unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 cup of whole milk, remove 3 tablespoons, room temperature
- 1 cup rainbow sprinkles
For the frosting:
- 2 sticks unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 3/4 confectioners’ sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- Rainbow sprinkles, to decorate
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease standard cupcake tin or use cupcake wrappers and set aside.
- With a hand mixer or a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, whip the butter for 1 minute on high speed, then scrape down the sides of the bowl with a spatula. Add the granulated sugar and beat on high speed for 2 minutes. Scrape down the sides of the bowl again. Add the vanilla extract. While mixing at medium-low speed, add the eggs one at a time. Scrape down the edges of the bowl midway through.
- Combine the flour, baking powder, and sea salt in a separate bowl. With the mixer on low speed, add half the flour mixture. When it’s mostly incorporated, add half the milk. Add the remainder of the dry and wet ingredients, scraping down the sides of the bowl between additions. Stop mixing as soon as you have a smooth batter. With a spatula, fold in the rainbow sprinkles. Fill muffin tins almost to the top.
- Bake until cupcakes feel springy when you gently press your finger against them, 17-20 minutes. Set the cupcakes aside to cool completely before frosting.
- To make the frosting: in a large bowl, with electric mixer at low speed, combine butter, vanilla, sugar and milk. Beat at medium speed 1 to 2 minutes, until creamy.
- To assemble, dollop a spoonful of frosting on top of the cupcake and spread in a circular pattern. Repeat until all cupcakes are frosted. Top with sprinkles and enjoy!