My parents were in town visiting and I love to challenge my Dad’s taste-buds. He’s a real meat (or fish!) & potatoes kind of guy and never really tries anything new.
But recently, he’s really been trying new things and I’m so proud of him!! Mongolian beef is one of the newest dishes of mine he’s tried and I kid you not, he ate it for 3 straight days. He loved it that much!
The story behind this is we have been trying to find a new Chinese food place but haven’t found the right one yet. We were cravvvvinggggg good Chinese food, so I decided to make it in place of trying to find one. And you know what, I might just make this from now on instead of getting takeout. It’s seriously that easy and that good!
It’s salty, but not too salty and full of the umami flavor you want with good Chinese food. I served this on top of Jasmine rice. What would you serve yours with? Lemme know in the comments!
- 2 lb flank steak, cut into thin strips
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 cup soy sauce, low sodium
- 2/3 cup water
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon ginger minced
- 1 cup brown sugar packed
- 3 tablespoons sesame oil
- 2 green onions chopped
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds
- In a large bowl, toss the flank steak strips with the cornstarch together and let them sit for 5 minutes.
- In a medium size bowl add the rice vinegar, soy sauce, water, garlic, ginger, brown sugar and whisk well. Set aside.
- Turn your Instant Pot to the saute setting. Add half of the sesame oil to the pot. When the oil is hot, add half of the flank steak and cook 2 to 3 minutes until it starts to brown. Remove from the pot and repeat with remaining sesame oil and beef. Return all the beef to the pot and press the cancel button on your Instant Pot. Pour the sauce over the beef and stir well.
- Close the lid and set the Instant Pot to the Manual (high pressure) setting and set the timer to 10 minutes. When cooking is complete, use a quick release to depressurize. Stir in the green onions and garnish with sesame seeds. Serve over rice. Enjoy!