It might be Taco Tuesday, but I diverged a bit and made fajitas instead. I was really craving some cooked peppers and onions and this just screamed my name tonight.
This took some pre-thought as I had to make the marinade this morning to the steak had some time to absorb the flavors. But, you can easily do this the night before and it would be even tastier! Once the steak is marinated, it only takes a few minutes to cook it. Take the meat out and cook the veggies in the same pan to get the benefit of the meat juices helping cook the veggies into a big flavor overload! And that’s really it!
You can serve this with some tortillas like I did, or not. You can also serve it with some guacamole (here’s how I make mine), or not. Even some sour cream or full-fat yogurt would taste amazing here. However you make it, it’ll be delicious. It’s a really amazing weeknight dinner that comes together super fast!
Lemme know if you have questions in the comments below!
- 1/8 cup olive oil
- 1/8 cup orange juice
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 1 pound flank steak or skirt steak
- coarse kosher salt and black pepper
- 2 1/2 tablespoons cooking oil, divided
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 2 large bell peppers, sliced into strips
- In a large Ziploc bag, add olive oil, orange juice, garlic, cumin, chili powder, Italian seasoning, paprika, cilantro, salt, pepper and steak and toss to combine. Marinate in the fridge for at least 2 hours or overnight.
- Remove the meat from the marinade. In a large skillet over medium-high heat, add 1 tablespoon of cooking oil. Add steak and cook each side 4-6 minutes, depending on how thick the steak is and how “done” you want it to be. Remove the steak from the skillet, transfer to a cutting board to let it rest and lightly cover with aluminum foil.
- While the meat is resting, add the remaining 1 1/2 tablespoons of cooking oil to the skillet. Add the onions, peppers and a pinch of salt. Cook, stirring occasionally, for about 8 minutes, until the veggies are soft.
- Uncover the steak and slice it against the grain and at an angle into thin slices. Serve along with the fajita veggies in tortillas, on a salad, in lettuce cups or anything you desire. Enjoy!