We’ve been eating a lot of rice recently so I’ve been making big batches of it in our Instantpot. But, we don’t always get to use it all up before it starts to go crunchy. So… what do you do with leftover rice? Make it into fried rice! Leftover cold rice makes the perfffeecccccttt fried rice and it only takes about 15 minutes to make the entire dish.
It’s also a great way to empty the fridge – you just whisk up the eggs. Then, saute whatever veg you have on hand (I used carrots, onions, frozen peas and garlic). Toss in the rice, green onions and sauces and you’re done!
It’s really that simple and just absolutely delicious! It makes the best weeknight dinner or side dish to any meat or fish dish.
Questions? Lemme know in the comments below!
Super Easy Leftover Fried Rice
- 3 tablespoons butter, divided
- 2 eggs, whisked
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and diced
- 1 small white onion, diced
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- salt and pepper
- 4 cups cooked and chilled rice
- 3 green onions, thinly sliced
- 3-4 tablespoons soy sauce, or more to taste
- 1/2 teaspoons toasted sesame oil
- Heat 1/2 tablespoon of butter in a large sauté pan over medium-high heat until melted. Add egg, and cook until scrambled, stirring occasionally. Remove egg, and transfer to a separate plate.
- Add an additional 1 tablespoon butter to the pan and heat until melted. Add carrots, onion, peas and garlic, and season with a generous pinch of salt and pepper. Sauté for about 5 minutes or until the onion and carrots are soft. Increase heat to high, add in the remaining 1 1/2 tablespoons of butter, and stir until melted. Immediately add the rice, green onions, and soy sauce, and stir until combined. Continue stirring for an additional 3 minutes to fry the rice. Then add in the eggs and stir to combine. Remove from heat, and stir in the sesame oil until combined.
- Serve immediately, or refrigerate in a sealed container for up to 3 days. Enjoy!