It’s been a while since I made a pie (nearly two weeks!), so today is the day! I went to the supermarket to let the fresh produce inspire me and was lucky enough to find the plumpest blueberries and blackberries. So, a berry pie it is!
I started off with tossing the berries with lemon zest only. Most recipes suggest adding a little sugar too, but these are so sweet this time of year so I passed on the idea. But, add some in if your berries are begging for it!
After that, I made a simple crumble using oats, flour (I used almond flour), sugar, salt and coconut oil. I like the taste of coconut oil better than butter here, but this pie is flexible, so use what you have on hand!
After that, the oven does the rest! Just let is cool down to room temperature before digging in or you’ll be eating a soupy berry mess!
Questions? Lemme know!
Blueberry & BlackBerry Crumble (Dairy-Free)
- 4 cups blackberries & blueberries, washed and drained
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 1/2 cup old-fashioned oats
- 1/4 cup flour, any kind
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- A pinch of kosher salt
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil, room-temperature
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Toss together the berries, lemon zest and sugar. Fill a baking dish with the berries. Set aside.
- In a small mixing bowl, stir together the oats, flour, brown sugar and salt until combined. Add the coconut oil, and mix into the dry ingredients. Continue until the oil is completely incorporated, and the mixture comes together into a chunky crumb. Crumble the topping over the berries.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes, until the crumble topping is golden brown and the berry juices begin to bubble. Remove from the oven and let cool for 15 minutes. Serve warm with fresh whipped cream or ice cream. Enjoy!