Who has super brown bananas sitting on their counter right now??? ME! Here’s what to make with them. A healthy, delicious banana bread!
Banana bread is such a great bread – its main ingredient, bananas, can be nearly brown and inedible on their own but then make the sweetest of breads. It’s a bit of a miracle bread when you think about it! Generally though, the best banana breads have tons of butter and sugar. They are light and fluffy, but in no way healthy.
Because I love snacking on banana bread with a cup of tea in the morning, I wanted to make a slightly healthier version with no butter or sugar. This is my favorite version that I just absolutely love to make.
I can’t wait to hear what you think of it – tell me what your favorite mix-in is for banana bread in the comments below!
Healthy Banana Bread
- 1/3 cup melted coconut oil
- 1/2 cup honey
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup (2 large) ripe bananas, mashed
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice or cinnamon, plus more to swirl on top
- 1 3/4 cups whole wheat flour
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees and grease a 9×5-inch loaf pan.
- In a large bowl, beat the oil and honey together with a whisk until combined. Add the eggs and beat well. Whisk in the mashed bananas and milk. Add the baking soda, vanilla, salt and pumpkin pie spice, and whisk to blend. Stir in flour just until combined (don’t overmix!).
- Pour the batter into your greased loaf pan and sprinkle lightly with pumpkin pie spice (if you’d like a pretty swirled effect, run the tip of a knife across the batter in a zig-zag pattern).
- Bake for 45-55 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Let the bread cool in the loaf pan for 10 minutes, then transfer it to a wire rack to cool before slicing. Enjoy!