It’s been raining here in the Northeast for nearly 24 hours. It’s been cold, then warm, then dry, then rainy. all week It’s all over the place! So I wanted something stable that I love to eat. But it meant I had to change the order of the week around and making tomorrow’s dinner tonight. So here we are!
I love a good bowl of soup, especially broccoli, so I was excited to try this paleo version. And I wasn’t disappointed! This was an easy dinner for me to want to make. Broccoli and Bacon! But leave out the bacon if you’re vegetarian and you’ve got yourself an amazing new Whole30, vegetarian soup!
Boy, I’m looking forward to dipping crusty bread in my soups again!
Whole30/Paleo Creamy Broccoli Soup with Bacon
- 8 oz whole30 bacon, cut into pieces
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 3 cups broth (any kind)
- 3 tablespoons arrowroot flour or tapioca flour
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 4-5 cups broccoli florets, chopped
- 1/2 tablespoon spicy brown mustard
- 1 1/2 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- Sea salt and black pepper to taste
- Chopped chives for garnish
- Heat a stock pot over medium high heat and add the bacon. Cook, stirring, until crisp, then drain and set aside.
- Discard all but 2 tablespoons of the bacon fat and heat pot over medium. Add onions and cook until translucent, then add the garlic and cook, stirring, another minute until softened.
- Add then broth and immediately whisk in the arrowroot or tapioca. Bring mixture to a boil to thicken, stirring occasionally.
- Once thickened, add in the coconut milk, broccoli, mustard and poultry seasoning, stir well. Cover pot and allow to simmer 10 minutes, or until broccoli is soft.
- Using an immersion blender in the pot, blend soup until mostly creamy – you can completely puree it or just blend a bit – it’s up to you. Once blended, add 2/3 of the bacon and continue to simmer another 5-10 minutes to blend flavors. Add sea salt and pepper to taste. Serve right away, garnish with chives and the remaining bacon. Enjoy!
Adapted from: palaeorunningmama.com
Was not expecting the coconut milk – but it sounds great!
LikeLiked by 1 person