I used to live in Buffalo, NY many years ago. I was there for my undergrad and graduate degrees for a total of 6 freezing cold years. At every event I went to, there was some form of a Buffalo chicken dip served, typically in a slow cooker with veggies, crackers & bread. It was even served in bread bowls many times. But no matter what event you went to at any point in the year, it was there.
So every winter when I get cold and it gets close to the Superbowl, I think back to what kept me warm and what I loved to eat in Buffalo. And this dip is it. But the problem is, it’s normally full of cream cheese and or mayo, etc… all things that are not cool with whole30.
This is my take on a buffalo chicken dip, but with no dairy and on top of a salad. Make sure you use Frank’s Red Hot sauce – that’s a non-negotiable (not sponsored, just awesome)!
Whole30/Paleo Buffalo Chicken Salad
- 2 medium boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1/4 cup Frank’s Red Hot Sauce (Not sponsored: don’t substitute any other kind of hot sauce here – it really makes a difference which kind you use!)
- 2 tablespoons ghee
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon Whole30 mayonnaise
- 2 12-ounce bags frozen cauliflower rice
- Pinch of salt
- 1 head romaine lettuce, shredded
- 1 cucumber, diced
- 2 ribs celery, chopped
- 1 cup grape tomatoes, halved
- 1 bunch green onions, sliced thin
- 2 avocados, peeled, seeded, and diced before serving
- To make the chicken in a crock pot (see * below for Instapot directions): combine chicken, hot sauce, ghee, and salt. Cook on low for 6 to 8 hours, or cook on high for 4 to 6 hours. After about 3/4 of the time, shred the chicken breasts with two forks, then add 1 tablespoon mayonnaise. Stir to coat and let chicken cook a few minutes longer, or until sauce is absorbed.
- Put frozen cauliflower rice in a saucepan with a lid and place over low heat. Cook until thawed and cooked through, seasoning with salt. Remove from heat.
- To serve, evenly divide all ingredients among 4-6 plates. Spoon cauliflower rice on top of romaine. Top with chicken, tomatoes, cucumbers, celery and sprinkle with green onions. Serve with freshly diced avocado, cucumber sticks, and plenty of Whole30 Ranch dressing (**see below for how to make this). Enjoy!
- To make your shredded chicken in an Instapot: combine chicken breasts, hot sauce, ghee, and salt in an Instant Pot. Do not add water. Secure lid and cook on manual, high pressure for 20 minutes. Quick release pressure and remove chicken breasts from pot. Shred with two forks then return to pot. Add in 1 tablespoon mayonnaise and cook on sauté mode a few minutes until sauce is absorbed.
- To make Whole30 ranch dressing: combine 1 1/2 cups olive oil, 2 eggs, 1 teaspoon mustard powder, 2 cloves garlic peeled and smashed, lots of fresh ground pepper, 2 tablespoon fresh lemon juice, 1 tablespoon vinegar white or apple cider, 1/3 cup fresh parsley, 2-3 tablespoon fresh dill, 1/2 teaspoon onion powder, 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder, 1/4 teaspoon paprika, 1/4 cup almond milk and 1 teaspoon salt in a blender and blend until smooth.