Tumeric gives food such a beautiful yellow color (and flavor)! And using it with chicken is the perfect canvas because it sucks the tumeric right up! Add in some other warm and spicy flavors and you have the perfect weeknight whole30 dinner.
And it was! I made this for our family tonight in between feeding baby Matilda and my picky 3 year old, Amelia. She didn’t want her chicken to be ‘yellow’, but she gladly ate it before it tossed in the tumeric. So I think of that as not making two dinners – #momwin!
Whole30/Paleo Cauliflower Rice Chicken Biryani
- 1 pound chicken breasts, cut into 1 inch chunks
- 2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoons grated ginger root
- 1 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon garam masala (or cinnamon)
- 3/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoons chili powder
- Juice of half a lemon
- 3 teaspoons ghee
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 1 hot green chili pepper, diced
- 6 cups riced cauliflower
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- lemon wedges, for serving
- Season the chicken with 1 teaspoon salt, ginger, garlic, 1/2 teaspoon garam masala, chili powder, 1/4 teaspoon turmeric and lemon juice.
- In a large skillet over high heat, add 1 teaspoon ghee. Add half of the chicken and cook until browned, and cooked through, about 5 minutes stirring halfway.
- Set aside and repeat with the remaining ghee and chicken. Set aside.
- Add 2 teaspoons ghee to the skillet, reduce heat to medium-high and add the onion, cook until they become golden about 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add the green chili, cauliflower rice, remaining 1 teaspoon of salt, 1/2 teaspoon garam masala and 1/2 teaspoon turmeric.
- Cook, stirring until tender, about 6 minutes.
- Stir in chicken and garnish with cilantro. Serve with lemon wedges. Enjoy!
Adapted from: skinnytaste.com