Christmas in our house is very similar to Thanksgiving – we make a big turkey with gravy, have roasted veggies and always have some kind of cranberry sauce or relish on the side. Since we made a chunky cranberry sauce for Thanksgiving this year, we decided to make more of a chopped up relish for Christmas.
This relish is very tart and compliments the turkey perfectly. I forgot to remove the cloves before serving it, so don’t forget to do that or you’ll get a very sharp, crunchy surprise in your relish!!
Cranberry & Orange Relish
- 1 lb. fresh cranberries
- Rind and juice 1 large orange
- 1 heaping teaspoon freshly grated ginger root
- 3 oz white sugar
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 4 cloves
- 2-3 tablespoons port (optional)
- Chop the cranberries in a food processor. Then, place them in a saucepan.
- Zest the orange rind and cut it into very fine shreds. Add to the saucepan, with the juice of the orange, followed by the ginger, sugar and spices. Bring everything up to a simmer, stir well, put a lid on the pan and let it all simmer very gently for about 5 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the heat, stir in the port (if adding) and, when it has cooled, pour into a serving dish. Cover with plastic wrap and keep in a cool place till needed. (Make sure to remove the cloves and cinnamon before serving)! Enjoy!
Recipe from: Delia’s Happy Christmas Cookbook