I’m glad this week is all quick dinners because I’m running out of time every day even though it’s only Monday! And I’m even happier I opted for a salad today because we tend to have a free for all eating craze every weekend. So this salad helps to reground me at the start of the week.
The greens here are Brussels sprouts. I know, who eats those besides me? Well they are absolutely delicious when they are raw (and cooked too, but that’s for another day). When you shave them, they add such a glorious crunch and unexpected taste to this salad. And mixing them with the sweetness of the dates, the crunch of the almonds and the creaminess of the cheese almost outshine how amazing the dressing is. Don’t underestimate how good this salad is. It’s a prize winning salad!
Shaved Brussels Sprouts Salad with Dates, Manchego Cheese and Almonds
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 large shallot, minced
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt and black pepper
- One 16-ounce bag shaved Brussels sprouts
- 1/4 cup dates, chopped
- 1/4 cup manchego cheese, diced
- 1/4 cup almonds, chopped
- In a small bowl, combine the lemon juice and shallot. Let stand 5 minutes (so the acidity in the lemon juice can begin to break down the shallot). Whisk in the Dijon and honey until well combined. Slowly whisk in the olive oil until emulsified. Season generously with salt and add pepper to taste.
- Add the sprouts, dates, manchego and almonds and toss to coat. Enjoy!