It’s the last day of soups and stews week and this one is an easy and fast way to start the weekend. It’s creaminess comes from the sweet potatoes with an unexpected twist from the apple and celery. And, the lentils add a much needed protein-punch to this otherwise simple vegetarian dish. In just one pot, you can feed an mini-army of a family.
Sweet Potato & Lentil Soup
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 onions, chopped
- 1 apple, peeled, cored and chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 stalk of celery, chopped
- 2-3 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and grated
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 1/2 cup red (or green*) lentils
- Put the curry powder into a large saucepan, then toast over a medium heat for 2 minutes. Add the olive oil, stirring as the spice sizzles in the pan. Add in the onions, apple, garlic, and celery, season, then gently cook for 5 minutes, stirring every so often.
- Meanwhile, peel, then grate the sweet potatoes. Add them into the pan with the stock, lentils, and seasoning, then simmer, covered, for 20 mins. Blend until smooth using an immersion blender. Check the seasoning and serve. Enjoy!