For as long as I can remember, I’ve been making these sweet & sour meatballs. My mom showed me how to make these when I was very young and I loved rolling the meat into little balls. It was like playdoh, but messier! They make a lot because they’re supposed to be mini meatballs, appetizer sized. In fact, you can use them at your holiday and New Year’s parties because they’re so easy to make.
But back to how incredible these taste – the sauce is amazingly sweet, which is great for my sweet tooth. But, not too sweet that you get that puckery feeling in the back of your mouth because the meat balances it all out. I prefer to eat those over rice, but couscous would taste good too!
Sweet & Sour Meatballs
- 2 12oz bottles chili sauce
- 2 10oz bottles grape jelly
- Juice of 2 lemons
- 1/2 cup unsweetened apple sauce
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs
- 2 large eggs
- 2 lbs. lean ground turkey meat
- In a large, wide pot, combine chili sauce, jelly and lemon over medium heat until smooth (if it starts to spit bubbles, lower the heat. Otherwise, the sauce will start to burn on the outside of the pot).
- While sauce is coming together, combine apple sauce, breadcrumbs and eggs into another large bowl and mix until combined.
- Add ground turkey to apple sauce mixture and mix until well combined.
- Shape into mini meatballs and drop into sauce. Simmer until meatballs brown, about 30 minutes.
- Serve over rice or couscous, or use toothpicks in each meatball as an appetizer. Drizzle with sauce and enjoy!
Recipe comes from my mom – a very old family recipe! 🙂