My daughter woke me up at an ungodly hour this am (it began with the number 5) and requested waffles for breakfast. So, we broke out the new waffle maker and made a basic buttermilk waffle. These are the kind of waffle you want when you go to a diner – thick with a slight crunch on the outside, but soft on the inside. I love topping them with fresh maple syrup and bananas but the topping possibilities are endless!
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 1/2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 3 eggs
- 3-oz vegetable oil
- Cooking spray
- In a medium bowl, whisk dry ingredients together.
- In a separate medium bowl, whisk the buttermilk, eggs and oil together.
- Mix the wet ingredients into dry until just combined taking care as to not over mix. Batter will be slightly lumpy. Let batter rest 5-minutes before cooking.
- Pre-heat waffle maker and spray it with cooking spray once hot. Pour 1/2 cup butter evenly in the center of each waffle square/circle. Close the lid and keep closed until the cycle ends. Remove waffles and repeat with remaining batter.
- Serve with maple syrup, fruit or your favorite topping. Enjoy!