Tacos – the absolute best weeknight dinner. You can literally throw anything in them and they’re delicious. From fish to veggie to just about anything in between, tacos are the best!
Now, I’ve made a TON of tacos in my day. And even though I’ve made turkey tacos before, I’ve oddly never posted about them. So here we are! Turkey Tacos.
I made today’s with a homemade taco seasoning but you could easily use store-bought. Just know they are heavier on the salt.
Really, the only cooking part of this is the meat – cook meat in a bit of oil, season and it’s done! The rest is just assembly. And to save time, I let the kids make their own. It makes dinner even easier! Win win!
The Best Turkey Tacos with Homemade Taco Seasoning
For the Taco Seasoning – use a store-bought taco seasoning packet or the following homemade recipe:
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 3/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
For the Tacos
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 pound ground turkey
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Corn tortillas or flour tortillas
- 1/2 cup sour cream or full-fat Greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup shredded lettuce (or any green)
- 1/4 cup sliced olives
- In a small bowl, whisk together chili powder, cumin, paprika, coriander, cayenne pepper, and salt. Set aside.
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, heat oil until shimmering. Add ground turkey and cook, stirring occasionally, until almost cooked through but still slightly pink, about 2 minutes. Mix in taco seasoning. Season to taste with salt and pepper, if needed. Remove from heat and let cool slightly.
- To serve, add a layer of sour cream or yogurt to the tortillas. Divide turkey filling evenly among tortillas and serve topped with greens, olives and any other topping of choice. Enjoy!