Bread is the perfect anchor to any dish, especially when it’s topped with creamy turkey and veggies. It’s kinda like an open faced turkey pot pie, but better!
This is no exception with its crunchiness and creaminess. It’s a quick way of having all the flavors of a turkey pot pie but without all the time and hassle of making the pastry.
And even better, I finally used up all that leftover turkey that’s been sitting in the freezer since Christmas! Winning!
Turkey a la King
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 large rib of celery, sliced
- 1/4 cup bell pepper (any kind, green is traditional), diced
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1/4 cup milk (any kind)
- 3 cups cooked turkey, sliced
- 6 slices Ciabatta bread, toasted
- In a large skillet, saute the onion, celery and green pepper in butter until tender, about 5 minutes. Stir in flour until a paste forms.
- Gradually stir in broth. Bring to a boil; boil until thickened, about 1 minute. Reduce heat. Add milk and turkey; heat through.
- Serve over sliced bread. Enjoy!