I was originally going to make a surf and turf dinner for Valentine’s Day dinner but everything got messed up last week when I was sick. So, I changed my plan while cooking it tonight and made it more of a steakhouse dinner with sweet potatoes and asparagus.
The steaks begged to be grilled even though it was only 35 degrees outside. Trevor was a champ and bbq’d them while I made the herb oil, sweet potatoes, asparagus. And, I don’t regret asking him to bbq them because it was a hint of summer in the middle of February.
Guess what, the steaks tasted amazing! The sweet potatoes had a little char on them which gave them a yummy, crunchy texture and microwaving asparagus is such an easy way to make it shine.
Both our girls ate exactly the same thing we did tonight and that’s a major win! I’m glad I changed this recipe a bit too. Sometimes, life gets in the way of your original plans and you know what? That’s ok in my book.
My Steakhouse Dinner
1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
2 5-6oz beef tenderloins
2 sweet potatoes, peeled and and diced
1 bunch of asparagus, trimmed
- Preheat grill to 350 degrees.
- Pulse the parsley and 2 tablespoons olive oil in a mini food processor until smooth. Add 1/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper. Transfer to a small bowl, cover and set aside.
- In a large sauté pan, add remaining tablespoon of olive oil and sauté sweet potatoes until softened, about 10 minutes.
- While sweet potatoes are cooking, season the tenderloins with sea salt and pepper and grill each side for 4-5 minutes for medium-medium well done steaks (grill each side for 1 minute less if you prefer medium).
- While steaks are cooking, snap off the tough ends of the asparagus. Put the asparagus in a microwave-safe dish with 1/4 cup water and a pinch of sea salt. Microwave the asparagus until tender, about 3-4 minutes.
- Remove steaks from grill and let rest for 10 minutes. Once rested, serve the steaks with the herb oil drizzle on top along with the sweet potatoes and asparagus. Enjoy!