If you’re kids are like my girls, they love to eat anything in a muffin shape! I could make them any color and put anything inside them, and as long as they are in the shape of a muffin, they would eat them up!
From a very early age, Amelia ate muffins. She went through a period of only wanting banana muffins but now that Matilda is on muffins, Amelia’s back on eating them too. It’s a great way to get additional fruits, vegetables and protein in without any of the additional processed flours or sugars.
Try these out in a lunchbox or a snack after school (or even for BLW) and let me know what you think!
Paleo Healthy Carrot & Apple Muffins
- 1/2 cup almond meal
- 1/8 cup flax seed meal
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- Dash of salt
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil, melted
- 1/2 cup shredded carrot
- 1/2 cup shredded apple
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine the almond meal, flax seed meal, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt. Stir to mix well.
- In a separate small bowl, beat the eggs, stir in vanilla extract and the melted coconut oil. Stir to combine.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients. Fold in the carrot and apple.
- Make sure the batter is mixed well, then drop by large spoonful into a muffin pan lined with liners or sprayed with cooking spray.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Remove from muffin pan and place on wire rack to cool for about 5 minutes before serving. Enjoy!