I love meatballs – I think I’ve made them every which way. Except paleo – until now! The almond flour in them has a very similar texture to what bread crumbs give. And imho, a little less mushy than traditional meatballs.
I think the sauce is really what makes these meatballs stand out. Grapefruit and cranberries seem like an unlikely pair at first, but they completely balance each other. With grapefruit being in season this time of year, it’s loaded with natural sweetness. So much so, Amelia was licking the spoon clean for me!
Whole30/Paleo Cranberry Grapefruit Meatballs
- 1 pounds ground beef
- 1/4 cup almond flour
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon, divided
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 12 oz. cranberries
- 1/3 cup honey (leave out for whole30)
- Juice of 1 grapefruit
- 1/4 cup water
- In a bowl combine ground beef, almond flour, egg, salt, and 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon until well combined. Scoop into 2 tablespoon sized meatballs and roll into balls.
- Place a large skillet over medium heat and add oil to the pan. Place meatballs in the pan and cook, flipping occasionally, for 6-8 minutes or until cooked through.
- To make the sauce, combine cranberries, honey (if using), grapefruit juice, and remaining cinnamon in a saucepan over medium high heat and bring to a boil. Once boiling, let simmer, covered, until all of the cranberries have popped, stirring occasionally (about 5-7 minutes).
- Once the sauce has cooked down, add it to a blender with 1/4 cup of water and blend until smooth. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Depending on how much liquid came out while cooking you may need to blend in another couple tablespoons of water until it has reached a consistency you like on meatballs.
- Pour the sauce over the cooked meatballs and serve on toothpicks or over riced cauliflower! Enjoy!
Adapted from: littlebitsof.com