Many apple pie recipes are too gooey to me. Yes, I said it and it’s true. They use too much butter and two types of sugar, which is too much for me. My apple pie recipe has the butter in the crust rather than mixed in with the apples. And, it uses tart apples that only need a little bit of sugar to bring them back to the sweet side. For the second buttery crust, you can use it to decorate the top anyway you like, including just laying it across the top and poking some holes in it. It serves best with a huge dollop of ice cream on top.
JAM-JAM's Apple Pie
- 1 double-crust pie crust
- 1 egg white
- 6 cups thinly sliced and peeled green apples (about 6 medium)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Heat oven to 425 degrees. Place 1 pie crust in lightly greased 9-inch glass pie plate. Press firmly against side and bottom. Egg-wash bottom of pie crust with 1 egg white.
- In large bowl, gently mix filling ingredients; spoon into crust-lined pie plate. Top with second crust. Wrap excess top crust under bottom crust edge, pressing edges together to seal; flute. Cut slits or shapes in several places in top crust.
- Bake 45 minutes or until apples are tender and crust is golden brown. Cool on cooling rack at least 2 hours before serving. Enjoy!