I’ll be the first to admit I’ve never made pork chops in my life. We didn’t eat a lot (or actually any) pork growing up, so it’s a whole new meat for me to learn in my adult years. I love it because it has more flavor than chicken, but it’s healthier than red meat. It’s also a blank canvas so you can pair it with anything! And caramelized apples are seriously perfect with it.
If you buy thicker cut chops, increase the cooking time on each side so they cook all the way through.
Caramel Apple Pork Chops
- 4 (3/4 inch) thick pork chops
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tart apples – peeled, cored and sliced
- Preheat oven to 175 degrees.. Place a medium dish in the oven to warm.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Brush chops lightly with oil and place in hot pan. Cook for 5 to 6 minutes, turning occasionally, or until done. Transfer to the warm dish, and keep warm in the preheated oven.
- While chops are cooking, combine brown sugar, salt and pepper, cinnamon and nutmeg in a small bowl. Add butter to skillet, and stir in brown sugar mixture and apples. Cover and cook until apples are just tender, about 5-7 minutes. Remove apples with a slotted spoon and arrange on top of chops. Keep warm in the preheated oven.
- Continue cooking sauce uncovered in skillet, until thickened slightly. Spoon sauce over apples and chops. Enjoy!