Every year, I make this berry crumble for July 4th. It’s got all the red, white and blue goodness you need and ohhhh man, is it delicious!
I get asked a lot if you can make it with fresh berries, and you can! Just don’t cook it for as long. Because you’ll never notice the difference between fresh and frozen, why make life more complicated? Sometimes, it’s nice to have things be just a little bit easier.
Very Berry Cobbler
- 4 cups FROZEN mixed berries
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Dash of salt
- 1 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon or pumpkin pie spice
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 stick unsalted butter
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a medium bowl, combine berries, sugar, flour, lemon zest, vanilla and salt to make the berry filling. Pour into an 8×8 baking dish and set aside.
- In a separate medium bowl, combine oats, sugar, cinnamon, flour and butter to make the crumble. Use your fingers to pinch the butter into the dry ingredients until evenly combined into pea sized pieces.
- Sprinkle crumble topping on top of berry filling in an even layer.
- Bake uncovered for one hour and until berry filling is bubbling and golden crumble is golden brown. Remove from oven and let it cool to room temperature, about 1 hour. Serve with ice cream and enjoy!