I have this fond memory of my mom cooking stir-fry in a huge wok (or what looked huge to me as a kid) frequently when I was growing up. I absolutely loved watching her mix everything up as it steamed and sizzled.
To this day, I still love watching a stir-fry being cooked (oh, and eaten)! This one looks basic, and it is. It’s the sauce that takes it over the top. Who needs Chinese take-out when you can eat this?!
Chickpea Veggie Stir-Fry
- 2-3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 red onion, diced
- 1 extra large carrot, diced
- 1 cup broccoli, chopped
- 1 cup cauliflower, chopped
- 2 cups mushrooms, chopped
- 1/2 bell pepper, diced
- 1 can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons corn starch
- Pre-heat large skillet pan or wok on medium heat with oil. Once hot, sautee onions and carrots for 5-8 minutes. Add broccoli, cauliflower & mushrooms and cook for 5 more minutes. Add pepper and chickpea and turn heat to low.
- While vegetables are cooking, prepare the sauce: combine soy sauce, water, Worcestershire sauce, sugar and corn starch in a small sauce pan and whisk constantly until thick over medium heat, about 5-7 minutes. Remove from heat and pour over vegetable mixture.
- If desired, serve over rice or top with sesame seeds. Enjoy!