Not many people know this but I was a vegetarian for many years. Before I became a true vegetarian, I started by eliminating red meat and fish, but I had chicken. After a few years, I stopped eating chicken and learned to love beans as my main protein source.
This is one of the dishes I used to make all the time – it’s easy and hits on all the major food groups. I usually make this in the morning or the night before and just pop it in the oven before we’re ready to eat. It freezes well pre-cooked too!
Rice & Bean Casserole
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 pepper, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 cups COOKED rice (measure after cooked)
- 1 can cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can black beans, rinsed drained
- 1 can whole kernel corn, drained
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 cup vegetable stock
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- Season generously with salt & pepper
- 1 cup cheddar cheese
- 3 green onions, diced
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees and prepare a 3 quart baking dish with cooking oil/spray.
- Heat a skillet over medium heat and add a tablespoon of oil to skillet. Saute onion, pepper and garlic until softened, about 4-5 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, add cooked onion/pepper/garlic, rice, beans, corn, tomato paste, vegetable stock and seasonings. Mix together and fold in cheddar cheese.
- Spread mixture in baking dish and bake in oven for 25 minutes uncovered.
- Remove from oven. Sprinkle with green onions. Serve and enjoy!