I’ll eat anything with lemons in it – cake, cookies, pie, lemonade, chicken, anything! So when I saw the Barefoot Contessa had this lemon yogurt cake recipe, I had to make it! It’s everything she says it will be in taste and texture – light, fluffy and perfect with a cup of tea.
Lemon Yogurt Cake
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup plain whole-milk yogurt
- 1 1/3 cups sugar, divided
- 3 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon zest (2-3 lemons)
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/3 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line the bottom of a loaf pan with parchment paper and grease it.
- Sift together the flour, baking powder, and salt into 1 bowl. In another bowl, whisk together the yogurt, 1 cup sugar, the eggs, lemon zest, and vanilla. Slowly whisk the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients. With a rubber spatula, fold the vegetable oil into the batter, making sure it’s all incorporated. Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for about 50-60 minutes, or until a cake tester placed in the center of the loaf comes out clean.
- While the cake is baking, cook the 1/3 cup lemon juice and remaining 1/3 cup sugar in a small pan until the sugar dissolves and the mixture is clear. Set aside.
- When the cake is done, allow it to cool in the pan for 10 minutes. Carefully place on a baking rack over a sheet pan. While the cake is still warm, poke holes all over the cake using a toothpick and pour the lemon-sugar mixture over the cake. Allow it to soak in and cool. Enjoy!