When I was trying to lose the baby weight I gained after my first pregnancy, I had a personal trainer for a short while who also helped me change up my diet. Apparently what you eat matters – who knew!
One of the biggest changes I made was reducing the amount of pasta we eat and replacing it with ‘protein’ carbs, like quinoa. It has made a huge difference in how we look at food and I’m hoping it helps me lose the baby weight again this second time around.
Quinoa Chicken Curry Bowls
- 2-3 large chicken breasts (about 1.5lbs), cut into bite-sized chunks
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon of pepper
- 1 cup quinoa
- 2 1/2 cups chicken broth, divided
- 1-2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 orange bell pepper, seeded and cut into strips
- 1/2 yellow onion, sliced
- 1 crown of broccoli, chopped
- 1-2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup riced cauliflower
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- A handful of cilantro
- Marinade chicken chunks in curry powder, salt & pepper for at least 1 hour.
- After the chicken is done marinating, prepare the quinoa. Carefully rinse and drain the quinoa and place in a small sauce pan. Bring the quinoa and 2 cups of chicken broth to a boil and reduce to a simmer for 10-12 minutes, or until cooked. Remove from heat and set aside.
- In a large saucepan, heat oil over medium heat and cook chicken, stirring occasionally, until cooked through (about 8 -10 minutes). Remove chicken from pan.
- Add pepper, onion, broccoli, and garlic to pan for 4 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add remaining chicken broth, cover and cook for another 4 minutes. Mix in cauliflower.
- Add cooked chicken and soy sauce to pan and cook for 1 more minute.
- Serve the chicken with the quinoa and top with chopped cilantro. Enjoy!