Happy National Cheese Day! In honor of the best day ever, I’m sharing the quickest tastiest way of making homemade mac ‘n cheese.
I make this for my daughter who loves and I mean LOVES mac & cheese. Since we always have pasta in the house, it made sense to just make it from scratch. This recipe tastes very similar to the boxed varieties you find in the store for half the cost and twice the flavor.
You can hide veggies in the sauce here too (like pureed cauliflower) if your kid doesn’t notice, but mine can smell a vegetable from a mile away.
Easy Mac & Cheese
- 3/4 cups of pasta (I like using veggie pastas for the added color)
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 – 3/4 cup milk
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese
- salt & pepper to season
- Cook and drain pasta.
- Melt butter in same pot (without pasta) and whisk in flour until it disappears.
- Add milk slowly to flour mixture so it doesn’t clump. Season with salt & pepper.
- Bring to a boil and simmer for 1-2 minutes. Remove from heat and add cheese.
- Add pasta, mix and enjoy!