I had a lot of lemons leftover from the lemon meringue pie we made this weekend, so this recipe was a great way to use them. Lemon instantly freshens bland chicken dishes and the fresh basil adds a delicious springtime touch.
It takes 20 minutes start to finish so it’s perfect for a mid-week dinner. Serve it over your favorite pasta, rice or vegetable.
Lemon Basil Artichoke Chicken
- 1 tablespoon oil from marinated artichokes (or olive oil)
- 1/2 large yellow onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 3/4-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 jar marinated artichokes (without the liquid)
- 1 bag loosely packed baby spinach
- 2 tablespoons lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 cup fresh basil leaves
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- In a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Once hot, add the onion and cook, stirring often, until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 additional seconds.
- Add the chicken, increase the heat to medium high, and let cook for 5 minutes. Stir in the soy sauce and black pepper. Let cook until the chicken is completely cooked through, about 3-4 minutes longer.
- Stir in the artichoke hearts. Add in the spinach a few handfuls at a time, letting the heat of the pan wilt it as you go. Stir in the lemon zest, lemon juice, and basil. Cook and stir just until the basil is wilted, about 1 additional minute. Taste and season with salt and/or pepper as desired.
- Store in fridge up to 3 days or freeze up to 3 months. Enjoy!